Tel: 01256 322691

E-mail: enquiries@aldworth.hants.sch.uk

    Art

    Maisie Farrow 2012

    Art – Aims and Philosophy

    We want our pupils to

    • Approach problems creatively and through the use of process develop a ‘can do’ attitude.
    • Develop a healthy work ethic in a respectful and safe environment.
    • Develop an understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts
    • Gain the power to enrich their personal and public life, within school and the community

     

    • We aim to develop the creativity and imagination of each individual giving them the visual vocabulary to communicate their ideas successfully.
    • We provide students with visual, tactile and sensory experiences through which they can understand and respond to the world around them.
    • Experimenting with a range of media and processes pupils build technical skill and understanding on a termly basis ensuring regular progress occurs.
    • Through Art and Design activities pupils learn to make informed judgments, aesthetic and practical decisions, helping them to become actively involved in shaping environments.
    • We explore ideas and meanings in the work of artists, designers and craftspeople, discussing content, intention and audience as well as form and process.
    • During their practical studies pupils may address social, cultural, religious, moral or political issues as well as being exposed to the diversity of roles played by contemporary and historical creative figures.

    Department personnel

    The Art department consists of four members, three teaching staff and one technician. All members of the department are knowledgeable, passionate and enthusiastic about the Arts.

    Curriculum Model

    Art Department (outline 2013) curriculum map

    

    Year 7

    Year 8

    Year 9

    Term ONE

    Formal Elements

    • Tone
    • Shape & proportion
    • Line / Mark making

    Depth

    • Enlargement
    • Perspective
    • Colour
    • Mixed media

    Pop Art

    • Stylization
    • Simplification
    • Portraiture
    • Pattern
    • Tessellation
    • Repetition

    Term TWO

    Colour

    • Primary
    • Secondary / mixing
    • Composition
    • Tertiary
    • Contrast / Relationships

    Hybrid Creatures

    • Myth and legend
    • Collage
    • Pen & Ink
    • Design Process
    • Mark making
    • Texture

    Abstraction

    • Stylization
    • Drawing
    • Painting
    • Collage

    Term THREE

    Signs and Symbols

    • Meaning
    • Simplification
    • Aboriginal dot painting

    Totem Poles

    • Symbolism
    • Symmetry
    • Cutting / tools

     3D

    • Planning
    • Framework
    • Papier-mâché
    • Team work

    All classes at KS3 are mixed ability. Classwork and homework is assessed regularly ensuring that progress is tracked over time.

    Extra-curricular opportunities

    Throughout the year the department runs several KS3 art clubs, during lunch break and after school. There is also an able artist club that pupils are invited to attend which runs at points within the year after school.

    KS4 enhancement sessions run almost every night of the school year and we encourage pupils to make as much use of these as they can.

    KeyStage 4 Curriculum

    The department offers two GCSE courses;

    • Art and Design
    • Graphic Communication

    Both courses are structured in similar ways and work within the AQA exam board specification. 60% of a pupils overall mark is based upon project work produced over the courses duration. A controlled test accounts for the remaining 40%.

    The KS4 curriculum encompasses a range of disciplines. Units of work are theme based but outcomes are varied and are often dictated by the pupil’s interests and the techniques they are interested in pursuing. These could be two or three-dimensional. Disciplines that may be explored include painting, photography, printmaking, graphic design and textiles. Focus is placed upon an individual’s development as an artist, craftsperson or designer. Work must be supported at every step by research and critical analysis.

    Please note that these courses do involve drawing and pupils will be required to use drawing for a range of purposes.

    How can I support my child’s learning?

    We see KS3 Homework as a very important part of your child’s learning. It is time where pupils reflect upon, consolidate and demonstrate skills. We would encourage all parents to support our efforts within this area.

    At KS4 pupils have entered into a partnership with us, having chosen to do the subject we expect them to be committed. Doing their best within lessons but also with regard to their independent study, which at GCSE is a vital component of their course. We ask parents to support the school enhancement programme and to encourage pupils to do their best on all homework tasks set.