“Accessible Art for All”
- In the Art Department we aim to develop the creativity, imagination and eye to hand skills of each individual.
- We provide students with visual, tactile and sensory experiences through which they can understand and respond to the world.
- We experiment with and create work using a comprehensive range of media. Students use colour, form, texture, pattern, and different materials and processes to communicate what they see, feel and think. Building skills on a termly basis ensures technical progress and understanding.
- Through varied activities students learn to make informed value judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions.
- As well as exploring the formal elements of art through the work of artists, crafts people and designers we also discuss the ideas, meanings and historical context behind works of Art.
- Students learn about the diverse roles and functions of art, craft and design in contemporary life and in different times and cultures. They may address social, cultural, religious, moral or political issues.
- By developing their understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts, they develop the power to enrich their personal and public lives, in school and in the community.
For more detailed curriculum information, please see the documents below.